Hall of Fame

On June 4, 1989, at the annual meeting, the Dansville Area Historical Society unveiled the Dansville Hall of Fame.  As many as 65 of the most noteworthy personage in the local history were nominated by a panel of experts, who then narrowed the list down to ten inductees.  Those ten were Cornelius McCoy, Dansville’s first settler; Daniel P. Faulkner, after whom the village was named; Dr. James Caleb Jackson, founder of Our Home On The Hillside; Clara Barton, of Red Cross fame; A.O. Bunnell, journalist and publisher; F.A. Owen, creator of Instructor magazine; Dr. Frederick R. Driesbach, father of the Dansville hospital; Lynn E. Pickard, originator of the airport; William D. Conklin, author of several books on Dansville history; and former Village Historian Wilfred J. Rauber, the only living inductee.

In 1995, ten more names were added to the Hall of Fame: Charles Williamson, the land agent who established the location of Dansville; Col. Nathaniel Rochester, builder of the village’s first paper mill; Capt. William Perine, namesake of two village streets and creator of Washington Park; Dr. James Faulkner, the local political giant who helped bring a canal to Dansville; Dr. James H. Jackson, who built the Jackson Sanatorium (the famed “Castle on the Hill”); Pell W. Foster Sr., founder of Power Specialty/Foster Wheeler; Bernarr Macfadden, the father of Physical Culture; Thomas P. Reilly, inventor of Ra-Pid-Gro; Nicholas H. Noyes, who helped provide new homes for the Red Cross and the -hospital; and Harold A Shay of Shay’s Service Inc., one of Dansville’s most dedicated civic servants.

Inducted in 1988 – 1989

Cornelius McCoy (c.1762-3 -1809) about…

Daniel P. Faulkner (1763 – 1802) about…

Dr. James Caleb Jackson (1811 – 1895) about…

Clara Barton (1821 – 1912) about…

Asa O. Bunnell (1836 – 1923) about…

Dr. Frederick R. Driesbach (1865 – 1949) about…

Frederick A. Owens (1867 – 1935) about…

Lynn E. Pickard (1889 – 1968) about…

William D. Conklin (1890 – 1987) about…

Wilfred J. “Wutz” Rauber (1907 – 1992) about…

Inducted in 1995

Charles Williamson (1757 – 1808) about…

Col. Nathaniel Rochester (1752 – 1831)

Captain William Perine (1756? – 1849)

Dr. James Faulkner (1790 – 1884)

Dr. James H. Jackson (1841 – 1928)

Pell W. Foster Sr. (1862 – 1947) about…

Bernarr Macfadden (1868 – 1955) about…

Nicholas H. Noyes (1883 – 1977) about…

Thomas P. Reilly (1885 – 1965) about…

Harold A. “Tim” Shay (1913 – 2009) about…

We will be posting info on each member in the near future