On this date: Our Home on the Hillside opens

October 1, 1858

James Caleb Jackson along with his staff open a new water cure in Dansville , NY on east hill over looking the village.   Even though previous owners never had much success in this unfinished three story facility, Jackson’s was hopefull that this would change.  Jackson had great results elsewhere to build upon prior to opening Our Home on the Hillside.  And those great results would continue on with new patients that came from hundreds of mile away to be treated here.

On this date: Genesee Valley Canal closes

September, 30 1878

The Genesee Valley Canal opened in 1840 and was officially closed on September 30, 1878

Starting in Rochester, NY, the Genesee Valley Canal extended along the valley of the Genesee from the N. bounds of Livingston Co. to Mt.Morris; thence it turns S.E. to Coshaqua Creek and up the valley of that stream of Nunda, and thence S.W. to the Genesee at Portage, where it cross the river upon a wood aqueduct supported by stone piers. The Dansville Branch Canal extends from Mt.Morris S.E. to Dansville, NY.

On this date: First Dansville Balloon Festival takes off

September 4, 1982

As part of the 9th Annual “Oktoberfest”, the “Greit Oktoberfest Balloon Race” sponsored by James H. Jackson Hose Co., takes off from Babcock Park and Rotary Field in Dansville, NY.  18 colorful Hot Air Balloons sponsored by local businesses listed below.

hot air balloon 2012, NYSFOB, over coop

Wentworth Motors
Dansville Chrysler-Plymouth
Dansville Dodge
Jackson Hose Co.
Channel 10 TV Rochester
Bradley TV, Cable Service
Ideal Lumber and Hardware
Jack's Place
Main Tire Exchange
U. S. Army Recruiting Service
Dansville Auto Parts
Gallery Home Furnishings
First National Bank of Wayland
West Beer Distributors, Lakeville
C & R. Food Service, Mt. Morris
Radio Station WVOR, Rochester
Matthews Buses Inc.
Vitale Bros. Contractors, Geneseo.

August 6, 1982

A thousand air-filled balloons, some carrying gift certificates for prizes, rained down on Main St. Friday, August 6th 1982 after Carroll Teitsworth of Groveland took off in his hot-air balloon from the business district in a promotion for the Dansville Business Association’s annual Sidewalk Days last week. The light was sponsored also by the Jackson Hose Co. to promote its ninth annual Oktoberfest and the first “Greit Oktoberfest Balloon Race” all during Labor Day weekend starting Sept. 3, 1982.

hot air balloon 2012, NYSFOB, over field

The balloon ascension was the first in over 50 years off Main St. when
in 1928 Edgar W. “Red” Allen (twin brother of Edward B. aka Captain Eddie Allen) of Dansville took off on a trapeze bar suspended beneath a prototype of today’s balloon’s.  http://genealogyva.tripod.com/flying/

The Rally in the Valley as it was known since 1987, gained recognition from Albany, NY, and created the New York State Festival of Balloons in 1997.  http://www.nysfob.com/

Photo’s by Michael Cornish (Bath, NY) and Chad Schuster (Dansville, NY)

On this date: First chapter of American Red Cross founded

August 22, 1881

After the Civil War, Clara Barton went to europe where she learned , in 1863, an organization called the International Red Cross was formed to provide relief to those injured in war and due to the result of natural disasters.  Clara’s vision was to organize a national headquarters for the American Red Cross with smaller offices in every state and local chapters in every city and town.  Due to the dedication and perseverance of Clara Barton, the first local society of the American Red Cross was founded on August 22, 1881 in Dansville, New York.

Clarissa Harlowe Barton was born on December 25, 1821, in North Oxford, Massachusetts.

The American Red Cross
Clara Barton Chapter No. 1
Founded 1881

57 Elizabeth Street, Dansville, New York 14437


On this Date: post on DAHS website


On this date: 1st airplane flights in Dansville

August 15, 1911

In 1911 the Dansville Board of Trade sponsored an “Old Home Week” celebration, which was designed to lure back former Dansvillians for a visit to their old stomping grounds.  The feature event of the week was an airplane exhibition by a pilot named Walter Johnson, flying a Thomas Headless Biplane.  These were the first airplane flights in Livingston County history; takeoffs and landings occurred from a field owned by Stark Brothers Nursery; near the future site of Ellis B. Hyde Elementary School.  A young Lynn Pickard was among the spectators; he would go on to found Dansville’s own airport.

On this date: The Veterans Memorial Project 2000 in Williams Park dedicated

July 4, 2000

The Veterans Memorial Project 2000 is a monument to honor all men and women from the Dansville area who have honorably served or are still serving their country, either on active duty or in a reserve capacity. Dansville has a long history of service to this great nation and state. Men and women have served proudly throughout the years to preserve our heritage and freedoms during times of peace and times of war. This was a long over due tribute to these individuals, Daniel Goho Post 87, American legion, lead this project.

The Veterans Memorial Project 2000 is a project to design, construct, and maintain a memorial to honor Dansville’s veterans. The memorial includes all veterans who have honorably served their country up through December 31, 1999. The goal was to construct a monument to be viewed by all and will last for generations to come. Metal plates have been engraved with each veteran’s name. These are mounted on the memorial. This memorial (shown below) was constructed at Williams Park.

The honor roll was dedicated July 4, 2000. We thought that it would be fitting and appropriate to coordinate the dedication with the patriotic observance on Independence Day and the start of the new Millennium.

Photo taken May 23, 2012 by Chad Schuster

On this date: “Our Home on the Hillside” burns down

June 26, 1882

An over turned oil lamp on the third floor was all it took to start the fire that brought down the original wooden “Water Cure” in June of 1882.  Dr. James Caleb Jackson was the first to sustain a water-cure business here.  He had many patients come under his care during the 24 years at “Our Home”.  Each year was practically more successful than the one before.

Liberty Hall (at left in above photo), which was designed by J. C. Jackson’s oldest son Giles, was able to be saved and was in service for many more years.

Do to the success of this business, under the direction of James H. Jackson, they decided to rebuild.  And rebuild they did, with a structure that was advertised as “Absolutely Fire-proof”  With this new chapter would come a new name, “The Sanatorium”.



We invite the attention of the Medical Profession to certain facilities offered by the Sanatorium at Dansville New York for cases of nervous prostration or patients needing quiet rest and recuperation with medical care and oversight.

This establishment offers an unequalled combination of natural advantages therapeutic appliances and favorable conditions for the treatment of the sick.  It comprises a magnificent main building and nine cottages situated in a woodland park on the eastern mountain slope overlooking the valley town and beautiful hills beyond . The location is unsurpassed for scenery healthful climate pure air and water Malaria utterly unknown.  No mosquitoes or other insect pests.

The new main building three hundred feet long and absolutely fire-proof is designed to meet every need not merely of the invalid but also those who seek simply rest and quiet It is complete in all its sanitary details.  It has light airy rooms safety elevator electric bells throughout perfect sewerage best modern appliances in culinary department abundant varied and well prepared dietary.  It has extensive apartments for hydropathic treatment arranged to secure individual privacy.  All forms of baths electricity massage’s are scientifically administered.  The apparatus for Dr. Taylor’s Swedish Movements and a superior Holtz machine for Statical Electricity arc special features.

The Sanatorium is under the personal care and management of a permanent staff of experienced physicians all graduates of the best regular schools in America.  Skilled attendants minister to every need . Not least among its advantages is the opportunity for out-door life and freedom from the taxations of fashionable life.

Dansville is easily reached from all parts of New England. There is but one change of cars from Boston.  An illustrated descriptive pamphlet sent free on application Address the Medical Superintendents


Ad from The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, Volume 115, Oct. 21, 1886

After several years it would be changed to  “The Jackson Sanatorium”.  With competition popping up all over I think they wanted people to be sure that this was the well-renowned Jackson Health Institution that heard about.

On this date: C.G. Mader Meat Market opens

June 22, 1914

Previously Hoffman & Co Meat Market, Charles G. Mader opens C.G. Mader Meat Market on the North East corner of Main Street and Exchange Street (Clara Barton Street).  Mader’s Sons, Carl in 1915 and Herman in 1918, joined their father in the family business.  Herman passed away at the age of 55 in 1958.  Charles passed away in 1965 leaving Carl to run the business which he did until 1981.

Above: Charles G. Mader (Charlie) stands at the door of his Meat Market

Above: Carl Mader stands behind the counter at the Meat Market

Above: Cooler Interior at Mader’s Market

Above: Edward Quantz (Quanz) with C. G. Mader Meat Market truck

Above: Mader’s Slaughter house

Photos above provided by Jane Schryver

Out of the Genesee Country Express and Advertiser                           February 10, 1944

Ten Years Ago: A program of remodeling and improvement at the Chas. G. Mader Meat Market, which will be of much benefit to the market’s clientele, is now under way.

Photos taken June 2012 by Chad L. Schuster

On this date: DL & W Railroad comes to Dansville

June 8, 1882

Often called the Lackawanna, the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad was completed to Dansville, NY in 1882.  The line that ran both freight and passenger trains, ran along picturesque East hill and continued to Mount Morris, NY.  The following year the line continued on westward to Buffalo, NY 76 miles away.  To the dismay of local business men, the Dansville station was more than a mile up the steep hill (Depot Road).