From the Genesee Country Express, Dansville N. Y., November 27, 1952 (Page 5)
FOR 71 YEARS there has been a tie between the Bastian Pharmacy – which will reopen on Friday as the Winship Pharmacy – Clara Barton Chapter No. 1 of the American Red Cross. That tie is embodied in a tradition, and is symbolized by a fine old handmade walnut desk. This desk has just been presented to the chapter by Mrs. Carl E. Bastian.
The tradition is one of interest in, and support of, the American Red Cross, begun in the very year the organization was founded and carried down through nearly three-quarters of a century.
In the summer of 1881, when Dansville folk decided they would like to organize a local Red Cross society, “Dr.” Gottlob Bastian was one of the group of community leaders who conferred with Clara Barton, at that time a resident of Dansville.
Their idea was to honor Miss Barton, and encourage her in her struggle to gain U.S. adherence to the Geneva Convention. A few months earlier she had organized the American Association of the American Red Cross in Washington.
Because it was not easy for “Dr.” Bastian to leave his pharmacy, the organizing group, including Miss- Barton, gathered there. They used the desk which -may now be much more than 71 years old. The Dansville pharmacy with which Bastian associated himself, when he came from Germany in 1852, had been established by Edward Niles in 1834.
“Dr.” Bastian, sole owner of the business from 1870, was succeeded 30 years later by his son, Edward Niles Bastian; who carried on until death claimed him in 1923. In that, year, Carl Edward Bastian, representing the third generation of the family, took charge. From then until his death, last May he was one-of Dansville’s leading businessmen—a pharmacist with a genuinely professional attitude.
Carl Bastian was proud of the store’s association with Red Cross history, and was a generous supporter of Clara Barton Chapter. At the time of the chapter’s 50th Anniversary in 1931, he and his uncle, Dr. Emil Rauth of Brooklyn (who had been a personal friend of Miss Barton) arranged a unique window display. Included was an oil portrait of Gottlob Bastian, painted by Dr. Rauth. This also has been given to Clara Barton Chapter. Another
display relating to the Red Cross was used in the Bastian window during the Town and Village Centennial in 1946.