The Dansville Area Historical Society Cordially Invites You to Attend The Annual Pasta Dinner Saturday, October 18, 2014 Cocktails at 6:00pm and Dinner at 6:30pm American Legion Home 34 Elizabeth Street Dansville, NY 14437 Program to Follow: David Gilbert will … Continue reading
Thursday, November 6, 2014
The Dansville Area Historical Society will sponsor a community program Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 7 p.m. in the North Dansville Town Hall auditorium. The program will be on the history of the DL&W Railroad, which ran along Dansville’s East Hill, where it had a depot.
The DL&W was completed to Dansville in 1882. The line that ran both freight and passenger trains, ran along picturesque East hill and continued to Mount Morris.
The program will be presented by Leicester town historian Tom Roffe, who himself worked for Amtrak for five years, and then left to work at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. before becoming a town historian. Roffe’s roughly hour-long Power Point program will cover the period from the 1870s to the 1960s. Roffe will discuss the railroad’s influence in York, Leicester, Mt. Morris, Groveland, and Dansville; and will include the railroad’s relation to the “Castle on the Hill” and the Phoebe Snow era.
The program is free and open to the public. Donations will be greatly appreciated.
Click here to see more posts about the DL&W in Dansville.
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church (built in 1847) added to National Register of Historic Places
- On this date: Hurricane Agnes hits Dansville Area
- Learn to Play the Game of Croquet in Livingston County, NY
- RECOLLECTIONS OF LIVING OLD CITIZENS ca. 1902 (post 1)
- Community Program: Thursday, July 24, 2014
- Summer & Fall 2013 newsletters added
- Program: DL&W by Tom Roffe has been POSTPONED
- Bastian’s Historic Desk Gets New Home At Red Cross (1952)
- Who Are These People!!